Sunday, December 09, 2007

KareeninFrance 16: I love being in France!

I think it always requires me stepping away from Paris and France to really appreciate it. I just got back from LA/China/LA......I am the crazy girl who flys all over the world and back again just to spend some time in LA and go to China. Now, I am paying for it with horrendous jetlag.

The next installment will be KareeninChina.....so check back soon!

China was amazing, but going back to LA always rejuvenates me. I habitually come back to Paris with new direction, new motivation, and new ideas. It's so nice to be back!

I had a moment while in LA that was a good reminder of how much I love France. I was in Los Feliz, walking to the donut shop with my friend Ben. It was the end of November and it was gorgeous out. I was thinking outloud about how great it could be to move back to LA and enjoy the wonderful weather. We walked into the donut shop and there were 4 French people, having a conversation in French. I resisted the temptation to introduce myself just so I could speak French with them. Instead, I thought about how much I would miss my life in Paris.

The last 6+ months have been difficult.....trying to get the business off the ground, frustrated with needing to be patient, anxious as I watched my empty coffers growing spider webs, lacking motivation, and tired of disappointments. I know I am nowhere close to being done with Paris.....but, I do not think I would be fair to myself nor to my business if I did not regularly consider a move back. But, you know....I just don't see it happening.

Just when I was ready to kill myself (kidding, and I apologize for making a joke about suicidal thoughts), things have begun to look up. I am currently preparing for a meeting with Galeries Lafayette (the French equivalent of Neiman Marcus/Saks) this week. They have already seen my photo book and have requested the meeting......so I am very excited, AND nervous. Wish me luck!

I have also been chosen to be featured in a design book. Not sure how swank this is, but I am not really in a place to deny press.

So, in summary, I miss the weather, my family, and all of my friends in LA (and, the US), but I LOVE PARIS. And, I love the Frenchies!

Love, Kareen

PS I have started reviewing my Advanced French grammar book from university. I finally understand what everything actually means! It's in French. I am trying to perfect my language skills.



Here is a teaser from my photos of China...Beijing...can you see the woman behind me chowing down on a squid-kabob?

See my KbyKareen blog

No comments: